Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Cartoview exactly? Is it a replacement for GeoNode?
Cartoview is a Geo App market for GeoNode. It is not a fork / improvement / reprlacement of GeoNode, but rather additional code aimed to make it more extensible to integrate third party apps directly from the browser.
2. What are the goals of Cartoview?
- Sharing GIS Apps.
- Provide apps for common tasks like visualizing and querying feature services.
- Extend the functions of the GeoNode SDI beyond data management.
- Provide a solid core of utilities that can be used to help developers integrate and deploy their Geo apps.
- Foster an ecosystem of apps extending easily deplyable and installable.
3. Can I use Cartoview with GeoNode Version 2.4 and earlier?
Cartoview starts working with GeoNode 2.5
4. I have an idea! What should I do?
Please file an issue. Issues are a great way to discuss new ideas, build consensus, and talk about implementation details.
5. I built something with Cartoview, can I show you?
6. I built a reusable app can I contribute it?
Of course! This is the purpose of Cartoview. Read the instructions on developing and deploying apps. Create an account on Cartoview App market and load your app. Your app will be immediately available to all Cartoview deployments.
7. What are the best Cartoview Apps?
ArcGIS Importer: This app allows importing ArcGIS feature layer into a PostGIS database while adding it to GeoServer and GeoNode.
(Coming Soon) Data Collection: This app enables you to collect data through dynamically configured forms using mobile app and add them as features to an empty layer in GeoNode.
8. Running Cartoview on GeoNode and QGIS Server?
There is no reason for Cartoview not to work on this deployment. (This was never tested). Apps relying on GeoServer of course will not work.